For a chic Parisian-themed party setting, fresh floral centerpieces are a must. Or are they? With the cost of flowers being on the steep side, event stylists have come up with some cleverly cost-effective alternatives—many of them DIY.
Our decorative project, for example, recreates the look of those charming arrangements made with fluffy white bolls from the cotton plant. What’s the creative substitute? Cotton thread pom poms, just as white and just as fluffy! And for extra cuteness, we made them into miniature nosegays tied with bows to be scattered amidst the Paris-inspired table decor. Ready to give these a try?
Step 1: Gather the materials.
Aside from a pair of scissors, you actually need only 3 kinds of materials for this project:
- several yards of white pom pom fringe (the type used for edging table cloths, curtains, and baby clothes!)
- light-gauge crafting wire, cut into 6-inch lengths
- assorted pink ribbons, from solid colored to printed
Step 2: Cut the pom poms off the fringe. / Step 3: Insert the wire stems
Prepare the pom poms to be made into individual “flower buds.”
- Snip the pom poms off the fringe, leaving them as loose balls.
- Insert a wire into the center of each ball, pushing the tip through to the other side.
- Bend the wire tip into a little hook and pull it back into the pom pom ball to secure it in place.
- Repeat this process until you have dozens of prepared flower buds.
Step 4: Twist the wire stems together to form bunches of pom poms.
Create little nosegays out of these pom pom blooms. Take 10 to 12 of the individual cotton buds and twist their wire stems together. Secure them by winding another piece of wire around their joined stems. Repeat this procedure to make as many mini arrangements as you need.
Step 5: Tie on a pretty ribbon.
Now for the finishing touches. Cover the reinforcing wire with a length of pretty pink ribbon. You can have a variety of pink prints and patterns, from solid colored to polka dots to gingham to dainty florals or damask. Tie the ribbon in a soft bow, leaving some excess for a graceful look when used as table decorations.
The Pom Poms on Display at the Party!
When it’s time to decorate your party tables, these little pom pom charmers readily take their place amidst the Parisian-inspired table decor—from vases of fresh carnations, to vintage perfume bottles, to pastry pedestals displaying French macarons, to glowing votive candles. Such a sweet and simple accent!