You may not have the great outdoors right in your backyard. But if you have a Sweet 16-er who loved camping growing up, you can certainly host a Camp-themed Birthday Party for her right at home. And yes, even indoors! We know it can be done, because we found these really resourceful party ideas for planning a cozy at-home bash that’s like a scaled-down “glamping” sleepover. Even 16 year-olds will find it cool!
Ideas for a Camping-themed Birthday Sleepover for Teens
No garden? No problem! You can “set up camp” in a patio, porch, or even your living room or family room. Pile comfy pillows, throws and quilts on a couch, fold-out cots or the floor (1). And don’t worry about getting everything color-coordinated or matchy-matchy. You can always say it’s “bohemian-inspired”!
Welcome guests with a homemade chalkboard sign (2)—simple and sweet. And hang charming patterned-paper bunting (3) around the party area, with some cute welcome gifts for the girls, such as personalized tin mugs just like they’d have on a camping trip! For a trendy and glam look, you can also opt for copper mugs!
Here’s where you can bring in some girly touches, since this is a Sweet 16 celebration after all! Camp party invitations (4) that are more pretty than woodsy. Plus printable signs, labels, tags and straw flags (5) that are all pink and orange hearts and arrows.
Of course, what sleepover party would be complete without sugary sweets, right? So we looked for those with a camp theme and found these clever options. Campfire cones (6) filled with chocolate and more marshmallows! And campfire marshmallows on sticks (7) “singed” with cocoa powder.
More fun tips to pull the camping party look together:
- Paint hurricane lamps in fun colors to hang overhead or use as centerpieces.
- Blankets and bed sheets can be used to create canopies for a tent-like effect for the sleeping area.
- Campfire supplies and utensils make ideal party accessories. Think iron skillets for displaying desserts, rope for hanging bunting, bandannas and hiking boots as photo props.
- Use trimmings from nature like twigs, leafy vines, moss and pine cones to add to the bringing-the-outdoors-in look.
- Make mini naked birthday cakes with berries and simple vanilla frosting. Each guest will enjoy having their very own cake!
- Wood stumps would serve as rustic-style pedestals for food trays, cake plates, and the like.
- Set up a trail mix bar with paper bags of assorted nuts, dried fruits and cereals to provide delish all-night munchies.
- Serve hot cocoa in tin mugs as a fave campfire beverage.
- Give packs of S’mores, mixed nuts, or even gummy worms as fun take-home treats.
- For some girly camp-themed favor ideas, consider lip balm, fragrant bug repellent, pink or neon water canteens, and handy purse-sized Swiss knives.
- As the young ladies finally call it a night (or a morning, more likely!), fairy lights strung up in the “campsite” area would create the perfect starry sky…even indoors.
- And for a memorable party keepsake, each guest gets her own personalized camping pillow to take home as party favors!