Here’s a fun and fashionable option for summer brides! If you’re going for a beach or bohemian theme, grab this chance to don light and open footwear to go with your equally airy wedding dress. Whether you’ll be traipsing along a sandy seashore or walking down a grassy garden aisle, bridal sandals as chic and comfy as these finds would be a lovely finishing touch to your wedding ensemble. So, are you ready to be a (nearly) barefoot and beautiful bride? Read on!
Sandal Style Pointers for a Beach Wedding
Some brides actually go barefoot for their wedding on a sandy beach. But if you prefer to have some protection for your feet, then these are some pointers to keep in mind:
1. The more open the sandals, the better. Have you ever tried keeping sand out of your shoes on a walk along the seashore? Well, then, you know it’s impossible. So we suggest you look for a style of sandals that will allow you to easily shake the sand out as needed (photo 1). No hassle!
2. Select a material that you won’t mind getting wet. Just in case your wedding photos will include a romantic wade in the shallows, you wouldn’t want to be worrying about ruining your sandals. Leather ones can actually hold up quite well (just make sure to dry them out thoroughly in open air and rub them with leather oil afterwards to prevent cracking). But you might also try a pair with straps made of woven hemp or rope (photo 3), and rubberized undersoles.
3. Pick up on the beach look. Many sandal styles out there come beautifully embellished. So do look out for those featuring beach-inspired accents like tiny seashells, starfish (photo 2), or orchids. And although our finds here are all in neutral tones, you can also step out in style with bright summery coral, aqua, yellow, or hot pink, if your wedding palette calls for it! Or if you’re aiming for a boho beach aura, you could wear sandals decorated with flower-like clusters of crystals (photo 4) or with actual fresh blooms to match a lush and lovely floral crown.
Sandal Choices for a Garden Wedding
Now, if you’ll be tying the knot in a garden setting, you have other lovely options to consider! Bring on the romance with footwear that takes full advantage of being out in the open—while still being feminine and elegant.
1. Channel your inner bohemian. If you’re going for a boho flair, strappy styles in leather with a fancy decorative weave (photo 7) could be just the thing. While those with embedded gemstones or crystals (photos 5, 6, 8, 9) would give you that exotic, gypsy princess look.
2. Capture the vintage garden charm. Is your wedding venue an English-style garden all abloom? Then, sandals adorned with silk roses, velvet bows, or perhaps even fabric straps would add that perfect vintage appeal.
3. Try DIY. Yes, believe it or not, you can craft your own bridal sandals. Or at least dress up a basic pair with creative trimmings to suit your chosen theme. That’s exactly the case with these delightful ‘DIY bow sandals’ (photo 10) that we found! Click on the link below for the tutorial.
So do you see yourself tossing the traditional satin pumps and going sandal-happy instead at your summer wedding? With options this lovely, why not!
1 – Sam & Gertie Photography, via Brides.com
2 – source unknown, image via Weddingomania
3 – Oh Darling Photography
4 – The Nichols, via Green Wedding Shoes
5 – Simply Bloom Photography, via Style Me Pretty
6 – Steve Steinhardt Fine Art Photography, via Elizabeth Anne Designs
7 – Rebecca Siewert Photography (link no longer available), via Wedding Chicks
8 – Jeff Loves Jessica Photography, via Project Wedding
9 – Marianne Wilson Photography, via Ruffled
10 – Swell Mayde