Are you that bride who loves the romance of a traditional wedding gown, but wants a hint of allure as well? Consider one of the trends for bridal dresses this year and the next: a slit skirt! It’s not as revealing as a deep v-neckline or a super-low back. But a slit can be the sultry finishing touch to a sheath-style gown, or the sexy surprise in a flowing boho dress or an otherwise demure design. Besides, if you have a great pair of legs, this is a stylish way to show them off on your wedding day! See the 8 fabulous bridal gowns we’ve singled out to showcase this trend. (*this post contains affiliate links)
But first, a few tips!
Bridal Style Tips When Choosing a Slit-Skirt Wedding Dress
1. When selecting your dress, do keep both style and comfort in mind. Remember that you will be doing a lot of walking, standing, sitting, and posing. So the height of the skirt slit (knee- or thigh-high) should allow you to do all these with confidence and flair.
2. The same goes for the placement of the slit. Some dresses have it down the center, while most have it to one side – which is very flattering. But try both styles, if you wish, and see which works best for you.
3. You may also choose from either an open slit – one which has an actual gap in the cut of fabric – or a slit that only becomes visible as you move or position your leg. This of course depends on the overall design of the dress, the fabric used, and how full or fitted the skirt is.
4. About what hairstyle goes with a slit-skirt gown, there is actually no hard and fast rule (as you’ll see in the examples below). It is more the general design of the dress and your wedding theme that will guide your choice of a tight chignon, a romantic braided do, or loose “un-styled” bohemian locks.
5. For your bridal shoes, high-heeled dress pumps or strappy sandals work best for lengthening and showing off those legs! But for a slit wedding dress at a beach ceremony, lovely bridal sandals would be perfect, too.
8 Gorgeous Slit-Skirt Wedding Dresses in Varied Styles
From modern minimalist to Hollywood glam to sweet and feminine, there is an entire range of bridal gown styles that incorporate a skirt slit with elegance and panache. Here are our editors’ picks to get you excited!
1 – “Juliet” Adrianna Papell Platinum Wedding Dress, via The Knot
In this A-line silhouette gown, lightly gathered tulle creates an illusion neckline over a sweetheart bodice. Delicate lace is layered over sequins for a sparkling effect throughout the full skirt with a front slit and a chapel-length train.
2 – Lace Slit Gown, from the Monique Lhuillier Spring 2018 Collection
This form-fitting sheath gown gets its beautiful air of romance and femininity from the shoulder-to-toe champagne lace fabric. Added flourishes are the scalloped neckline, fitted long sleeves, and elegant train.
3 – “Holden” Gown, from the Monique Lhuillier Fall 2018 Collection
Dainty yet alluring, this white mermaid-cut wedding gown features a strapless bodice with intricate fabric draping, ending in a softly-gathered full skirt with the slit just visible with every step.
4 – “Placid” Gown by Tadashi Shoji, via BHLDN
Vertical lace insets create a flattering long silhouette for this sweet gown. Ruffles give the shoulders a whimsical touch, while the bodice features a deep v-neck and the slim skirt is accented with a center slit.
5 – “Cressida” Dress by Jill Jill Stuart, via BHLDN
Both feminine and daring, this silky charmeuse dress sizzles with a keyhole neckline, shoulder-baring halter straps, and a center-slit skirt, softened by ruffles bordering the bodice.
6 – “Keats” Gown by Rime Arodaky, via BHLDN
Part of BHLDN’s exclusive Designer Collective, this crisp white gown crafted in Rime Arodaky’s Parisian studio features delicate floral appliques embellishing the plunging neckline, thigh-high slit, and illusion back.
7 – Wedding Dress SEK1195, from the Eddy K Collection
Another figure-hugging creation, this crepe and ivory sequin lace sheath gown is graced by an illusion neckline and a thigh-high center slit.
8 – “Morning” Gown, by Ines di Santo
This fit and flare Silk Gazar gown dazzles with signature layered lace from its dainty yet daring bodice to its dramatic paneled skirt with a super-high side slit.