A nautical theme for a wedding? Now, that’s a charming choice with truly interesting possibilities! The challenge, though, is how to have wedding decorations and accessories that evoke the sea without being trite and predictable. In other words, how does one make nautical magical?
First, we recommend an understated color palette of ivory, sand, and gold. Leave the loud beach party hues or the snappy blues and reds for the pre-wedding events. Then, we suggest incorporating tasteful references to the sea among the ceremony elements and bridal accessories. For some inspiring ideas, read on!
Begin “With This Ring…”
At the ceremony itself, incorporate stylish references to the sea—like a unique ring pillow in the shape of a seashell or lovely shell trays to hold the rings till just before the vows.
As the wedding party prepares to make its way down the aisle, have the theme be unmistakable yet subtle. For instance, position large conch shells on either side of the aisle alternating with ivory-painted hurricane lamps holding glowing candles. Then, have the precious wedding bands presented in a unique way:
- Displayed on a lovely seashell-shaped ring pillow embellished with tiny pearls, shells, and glass beads and finished with a flowing ribbon
- Or use charming shell trays filled with beach sand and adorned with swirling seashell fragments.
- Use large nautilus shells filled with sand and decorated with pretty ribbons that match the wedding color scheme.
- Another option is to use a large preserved starfish to hold the rings. Add elegant flowing ribbons that match your wedding colors. Hint: If you are reluctant to use real starfish, try faux ones.
Proceed With the Loveliest Bridal Accessories
Maintain the refined wedding color palette with ivory-hued floral bouquets, along with a pearl and silver rosary as a special keepsake of the wedding.
Now, the wedding march begins. The adorable flower girl and charming bridesmaids lead the way in the prettiest frocks. Then, all eyes are on the radiant bride! Make the moment picture perfect with:
- Monochromatic ivory floral bouquets—gorgeous roses for the bride and sweet stephanotis for the bridesmaids—maintaining the elegant color scheme
- A precious pearl and silver rosary held by the bride as a most special accessory
- Matching wristlet purses for the ladies in the wedding party, made from ivory-colored textured silk and decorated with a cluster of natural seashells.
For other romantic touches for the beach ceremony, let your bridesmaids carry dainty Japanese parasols for a truly romantic look. In place of bouquets, you can have them carry pomanders decorated with tiny shells.
Serve Refreshing Drinks in Sea-inspired Style
During the post-ceremony photo shoot, serve the guests welcome drinks in pearl- and shell-embellished glasses.
All too soon, the touching wedding ceremony is over—and it’s picture taking time! As photographers snap away to capture those memorable images of the happy newlyweds, their family, and the wedding entourage, what are the waiting guests to do? Why, enjoy stylish welcome drinks presented in the most unique way, of course!
- – Serve white wine in slender flutes, glammed up with clusters of pearls on their stems.
- – Present chilled tropical fruit-infused cocktails in graceful goblets, adorned with eye-catching natural seashells.
Other beverage ideas:
- – Have bottles of chilled water on hand, or pitchers of iced water with a refreshing tinge of lemon and mint.
- – You can also serve snow cones made with a citrus-liqueur. Add tiny cocktail umbrellas for a decorative touch.
Then, everyone proceeds to the wedding reception that is awaiting in a romantic tent or marquee as the sun sets for the day.
What a Thrill to Find other Nautical-inspired Ideas on these Blogs!
Talk about nautical-goes-glam! How fabulous is this towering wedding cake created by The Caketress (found via Elly B Events), featuring edible gold ship-inspired charms, two-toned fondant ruffles, and a fluffy flower topper. The mini-cakes for guests (seen in the full post) are just too cute. We are in awe!
For a stylish centerpiece, we love this creation by the talented Laura Charles of The Wedding Decorator for a wedding in Marbella, Spain. It’s a fishbowl filled with seashells, pebbles, and floating white daisies reflected so enchantingly in a mirrored tray. Simple to assemble, yet such a striking piece!
Another great use of shells is this elegant place setting we discovered on Designs by Gollum. Believe it or not, stylist (and novelist) Michael Lee West put this together to recreate a seaside feel in a mountain setting! Isn’t it charming how the fluted design on the plates mimics the ridges on the seashells?
We found edible seashells, too! Little Muon (via Save the Date for Cupcakes) moulded these nautical treats out of blue-tinted chocolate, then presented them in the cutest aqua and green cupcake liners. You could replicate these in any color to suit your wedding palette!