Want to surprise your guests without using any floral arrangements? How? Create a DIY table centerpiece! We’re talking about a hip “pop art” table runner composed of colorful neon cardboard cubes. The key to their visual impact lies in their bright, popping colors and bold graphic designs. So, are you ready to channel your inner Andy Warhol? Here is an easy how-to procedure.
Step 1: Prepare your materials.
The materials you’ll need for this centerpiece are super easy to source from your nearest crafts supply store:
- colored board or heavy card stock in the colors of your party palette
- a dinner plate or other large circular item
- a pencil
- a pair of scissors
- black poster paint
- 1-inch paintbrush
- hot-glue gun
If you prefer, you can always substitute items you already have right at home:
- scrap cardboard from office or school supplies
- board from used gift boxes or other packaging
- spray paint or poster paints in your chosen colors
- 2-inch paintbrush
Step 2: Cut and Decorate the Cardboard Circles
- Using the plate as a guide, trace circles on the cardboard and cut them out. Note: Allot 6 circles per cube to be made.
- If you’re using plain cardboard, paint one side of each circle in your chosen colors using spray paint or poster paint. Let dry.
- Take the black poster paint, and freehand a large graphic floral design on each circle.
Other fun ideas:
- A fun way to have this centerpiece reflect your shower theme would be to use printed materials in combination with the colored board. Just be sure to choose those that are sturdy enough to hold their shape when cut.
- For example, if you’re having a travel theme, you could cut circles from colorful travel posters, maps, or calendars with scenic views. If you’re having a fashion theme, you could use boutique bags from your favorite apparel and accessory outlets, and cut circles from those. And for a vintage theme, you can recycle newspaper and achieve a unique black and white look for the centerpiece.You can even use newspaper from various parts of the world for real talking piece!
Step 3: Assemble the Cubes and Display them at The Party!
- Decide which circles will make up each cube—combining colored and printed ones as you wish.
- Carefully bend the four sides of each circle forward, creating “flaps.” Note: Don’t crease the board, simply bend it.
- Apply glue to the reverse, and press the flaps of the adjoining circles together to form a cube.
- Do the same for the rest of the cubes. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- At the party, simply line the cubes down the center of the table—and you have your “pop art” centerpiece!
- If you prefer a less structured look, you can always position the cubes randomly on the table or cluster them at mid-table.
- Or should your party venue happen to have exposed ceiling beams, you could wow guests even more by suspending the cubes from these beams, using nearly invisible nylon cord!
Now, isn’t that amazingly simple to make? Just use your imagination and minimal crafting skills, add your own personal style, and you have a fab centerpiece for your party!