Feathers always add a touch of whimsical glam to any celebration. And for a winter wedding, in particular, their look and feel are just perfect for adding texture and softness to the scene. Feathers could also prove to be a great cost saver when combined with (or used in place of) the more traditional flowers. So if you haven’t considered using this beautiful design element just yet, we suggest you read on! We’ve gathered some gorgeous ideas for decorating a fabulously feathered winter wedding—and for accessorizing your bridal party, too!
Glamming Up Your Venue Décor
We don’t suggest full feather-covered walls at your reception venue (although a backdrop would definitely be dramatic!). Simply adding a few feathery elements would instantly create an ambience that could range from ‘boho glam’ to ‘classic Hollywood’ for your Big Day. Some ideas you can try:
- String different types of feathers overhead as your ceiling decoration, preferably on near-invisible fishing line for a floating-in-midair effect.
- Craft stunning chair décor for your newlyweds’ seats.
- Use them as part of the table design, either as napkin accents or scattered all over the table surface along with crystal beads or rhinestones.
- Adorn your candle holders with these fluffy trimmings. Note: Be careful, though, to position the feathers far enough away from the flame.
- Create striking centerpieces with ostrich feathers atop towering stands.
Feather Accessories for the Bride and Groom
Feathers need not be just decorative touches at the reception. They can certainly also be chic fashion pieces for you and your entire entourage. Ideas include:
- A wedding dress embellished with feathers – as seen in many a designer’s winter wedding collections
- A feather fascinator or headpiece – for that vintage or art deco flair
- Feather-trimmed wedding shoes – a unique accessory with a hint of fantasy
- A bridal shrug made out of feathers – an opulent substitute for a fur bridal cape
- Feather boutonnieres – longer-lasting than fresh flowers
Wedding Details with a Feathery Touch
Your winter wedding can take on a fanciful, yet elegant air with other wedding details inspired by the beauty of feathers. Here, we suggest incorporating them in ways like these:
- As a magical ‘aisle runner’ – for a truly captivating ceremony element
- As wedding stationery with stylized feather graphics – from your invites to place cards and favor tags
- As adornments on your wedding cake – using either real feathers or ones made with white chocolate or fondant
- As wedding-toss confetti – a whimsical change from the traditional rice confetti
- favor tags for your dessert table
Now who says winter wedding decor is only about snowflakes and glitter? Feathers are a definite styling option, as you can see! Just remember, don’t go overboard with those feathers!
Wedding dress – Ysa Makino, via Tradesy
Bridal headband – Twigs & Honey, via One Wed
Bridal shoes – BHLDN
Bridal cape – Gilly Gray on etsy, via One Wed
Boutonnieres – Anne Marie Photography, via The Knot
Aisle – A Beautiful Mess
Invitations – Alicia’s Infinity on etsy
Feather confetti – Joanne Markland Photography, via Southbound Bride
Wedding cake – Jeff Loves Jessica, via Ruffled
Favor tags – Darling and Daisy [website has ‘expired’]