There’s just something about autumn! The gorgeous turning of the leaves, that little nip in the air, and the flurry of activity as families prepare for that most special occasion, Thanksgiving. It’s no wonder, then, that a wedding in November has that extra air of warmth and cheer that just seems to come with the season.
If you’ll be tying the knot at this time of year, lucky you! Your wedding party decor has fabulous inspiration from nature, plus your menu can take its cue from delicious Thanksgiving fare. So, what about your favors for guests? We have some great ideas for capturing the season’s charm with gift items that are both practical and stylish. They’ll be fun to prepare and a delight to present to guests. Take a look!
A Dozen More Ideas
This time of year lends itself wonderfully to favors that celebrate the colors, flavors, aromas, and textures of the season. Take advantage of all these when selecting or making heartwarming giveaways for your guests.
1. Spices for cooking - Prepare little cello packets of allspice, nutmeg, cloves, ginger powder, and cinnamon, then bundle them together in pouches. The aroma will be heavenly!
2. Wine - Guests would be thrilled to each receive a bottle of wine they can serve at Thanksgiving. But since there’s no such thing as “the Thanksgiving wine,” use your own personal preference to choose from hearty reds (Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel) or crisp whites (Riesling, Gewurtzraminer, Sauvignon Blanc). Then, tie on a personalized favor tag. Hint: Since wines are a bit pricey, try looking out for mini bottles of these varieties.
3. Apple Cider - Another autumn favorite that you can give in prettily ribboned jugs is apple cider! You can purchase these in bottles or impress guests by making your own! Just follow this great recipe from Imbibe Magazine: Apple Cider.
4. Coffee beans - Select your favorite variety of coffee beans or ask for any special autumn blends out on the market. Have your retailer vacuum pack them in 1-lb. bags, then use colorful fabrics to transform them into elegant party gifts!
5. Hot cocoa mixes - Who wouldn’t love a cup of hot chocolate on a chilly evening? Purchase sachets of cocoa mix and pop these into stylish mugs to give to each guest. Added treats could be a bag of mini marshmallows, cinnamon sticks, and a novelty teaspoon with a tag saying, “A warm thank you for sharing this occasion with us!”
6. Jars of honey - A sweet (and healthy) way of showing your appreciation to guests would be with jars of honey. You could simply cut circles of printed fabric with pinking shears, and tie these over each jar lid with a pretty ribbon. Or you could create a personalized sleeve for each bottle with a DIY label marked, “Sweet-as-Your-Friendship Honey”!
7. Homemade almond butter or jams - Imagine your wedding guests remembering you over their breakfast toast each morning. Give them little pots of almond butter or bottles of jams you’ve made yourself, presented in dainty favor bags. Try these recipes from The Food Network:
- Almond butter
- Strawberry jam
- Peach jam
8. Bottles of maple syrup with a pancake recipe - Another way to have guests start off their day thinking of you: bottles of maple syrup with special pancake recipe cards attached! Select one (or all three) of these perfect-for-fall pancake recipes, print them on card stock, and tie them to each syrup bottle with a cheery gingham ribbon:
- Gingerbread pancakes
- Spicy pumpkin pancakes
- Sour cream blueberry pancakes
9. Pumpkin muffins - Homebaked gifts are always heartwarming—and muffins are especially so. Show guests how special they are to you by presenting them with small bread baskets holding pumpkin muffins from your very own kitchen. Line each basket with a checkered napkin and tuck in a gift card announcing, “Baked With Love Especially For You!” For an easy to follow recipe try pumpkin muffins.
10. Orange spiced cookies and bars - Make the most of fall-time flavors with baked goodies spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, or in this case tangy orange! A great packaging idea would be to give these on charming breakfast plates found at a thrift shop or flea market, covered with food-safe wrap and finished with an orange bow. Check out these recipe ideas:
- Orange-spice Pumpkin Bars With Frosting
- Orange-spice Drops
11. Chocolate fudge squares - A sure winner as guest favors would be the ever-popular chocolate fudge—whatever the time of year! Bake up a batch from a favorite family recipe, cut them into squares and wrap in cello. Then, place several into a heart-shaped woven box for each guest and finish the package with a gift tag.
12. Potpourri mixes - If edible favors seem a bit risky with the upcoming holidays, consider treating guests to packets of fragrant potpourri. Visit home decor centers for autumn-inspired blends with spicy hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, allspice, and anise—or make your own! Just follow this step-by-step guide for potpourri. Then, tuck a scoopful into favor sachets for each guest to take home!
Favor Tags to Download and Print!
For a whimsical touch to your favor packaging, use these favor tag templates inspired by traditional fall shapes like leaves, pinecones, and apples. These can be used as templates for place cards, too!