Victorian-style cameos are classics when it comes to Parisian-inspired decor. So, we came up with a charming chair decor idea that uses these graceful silhouettes not only as pretty accents, but as stylish place cards as well!
Made with lustrous pearls and velvet bows, the finished look is elegant with a suitably French flair. But each cameo chair accent is actually very easy and inexpensive to make. Does that sound like something you’d say “Oui!” to for an upcoming celebration? Wonderful! Here’s the full how-to guide.
Step 1: Assemble the materials you’ll need.
Only one item needs to be self-made. The rest you can purchase from a craft or school supplies store, or see what you may already have on hand.
- a printout of a Victorian-style cameo silhouette with an oval outline (you can create this on your home computer using downloadable clip art)
- acetate sheets
- large black velvet bows (either bought ready-made or crafted from velvet fabric and gold crafting wire)
- strands of faux pearls
- a black Sharpie marker pen
- a pair of scissors
- a single-hole puncher (not shown)
Step 2: Trace the cameo silhouette onto an acetate sheet.
Using the cameo silhouette as a template, transfer the image outline onto acetate for your place cards. Place a sheet of acetate over the cameo printout and, if you wish, hold it in place with a bit of tape. Using the Sharpie marker, trace along the outer edge of the silhouette. Note: Take care to make a clean, continuous outline since this will form the basic image on your finished place cards. With the template still in place, create a decorative border (seen in Step 3) with the marker pen, using the oval outline as a guide.
Step 3: Write the guest’s name and cut out the oval place card.
Now, to personalize each cameo place card! Again with the Sharpie marker, write out each guest’s name across the silhouette image. Add a pretty flourish underneath or on either side. Then, cut the acetate into an oval shape just outside the decorative border.
Step 4: String each cameo card on a strand of pearls.
Prepare the place cards to be attached to the party chairs. Then, do the following:
- Punch a hole at the top edge of each cameo card.
- Take a strand of pearls and cut a length approximately 8 to 10 inches long.
- String it through the hole in the card and set aside.
- Repeat this for all the place cards you’ve prepared.
Step 5: Dress up each chair with pearls and bows, and hang the cameo cards.
Now to assemble the final chair decor, you will need to:
- Drape strands of pearls in 2 tiers on the back of each party chair, and tie them securely in place.
- Use gold crafting wire to attach a velvet bow to the top rung of each chair back.
- Finally, hang a cameo place card from the bow using the length of pearls you had prepared in Step 4.
The Finished Chair Decor: A Charming Touch at the Party!
Finally, arrange the decorated chairs around each party table and wait for the guests to arrive. Don’t these make such pretty Parisian-style accents, perfect for the theme? How would you make these chair decorations for your own Parisian themed party? Let us know!