Picnic season is definitely here! With families like yours just raring to get outdoors and enjoy the summer breeze and sunshine, a picnic has got to be the perfect event to plan. And yes, we do mean "event." With a little imagination and creativity, a picnic can be so much more than just a basketful of sandwiches and a checkered picnic blanket.
And these 7 amazing picnic setups we’re featuring prove exactly that! You can style your outdoor gathering as simple and relaxed or as sophisticated and chic as you like. You could decorate around a fancy theme, or just assemble well-loved items for a family occasion. Or even hire a picnic-setup service. The options are pretty awesome. Come see the inspiration in store—for picnic styling ideas from laidback to luxe!
Inspiration for Styling Your Picnics This Summer
While the weather is great, why not plan a simple picnic a week? Most can just be simple setups in your backyard or a park. Then, if there’s a family birthday, graduation or anniversary coming up, make it a picnic celebration, too!
Lots of inspiration here for a variety of picnic themes, locations, and perhaps even price ranges. Check out the highlights we love for each!
1 – Little Llama birthday picnic party – from Mint Event Design
Sophisticated styling by a pro—and it shows!
- a chic mix of pastels and jewel tones in the rugs and throw pillows
- tassel bunting everywhere
- natural materials like wood, rattan, basketry, kraft paper and boxes
- kiddie touches for the celebrant: a play teepee, balloon garlands, and adorable stuffed toy llamas
2 – Woodland-themed picnic birthday party – from Kids Eat by Shanai
Totally doable and affordable for a simple kiddie celebration:
- a child-size teepee and a DIY chalkboard birthday sign
- a metal tub for drinks in ice
- wooden crates and boxes for popcorn, muffins, mini pancakes, and other party treats
- simple throw rugs and outdoor cushions
3 – Budget boho graduation picnic – from Girl and the World
Planned by friends with DIY and borrowed elements, and potluck, too!
- deconstructed wooden pallet bed used as a table on boho-style blankets
- a garland of pompoms and tassels suspended from crossed sticks
- a runner of greenery and florals
- grad-themed cupcakes, cookies and candies, plus potluck snacks
4 – Moroccan party picnic on the lawn – from To Have & To Host
The exotic ambiance is in the details:
- large floor pillows on woven area rugs
- Moroccan-style metal lanterns and round paper lanterns
- tea lights in glass cylinders
- lush pink peonies in vases
- a fruit and cheese board and two veggie boards
- sparkling pink lemonade and limeade
- serving bowls and baskets with etched lids
5 – Picnic birthday party – from A Joyful Riot
Sweet and simple for a casual gathering:
- set up on a picnic table in a park or wooded area
- cake and pastry stands to display birthday treats
- pops of color from fresh flowers, flavored drinks, and festive gift bags
- for the celebrant, birthday balloons and a sweet photo banner
6 – Sweet pastel picnic 2nd birthday – from Hooray Mag
A nostalgic look and feel that’s so appealing:
- a dainty lace teepee
- a miniature ice cream cart and a dessert table with donut display stand
- kiddie-height tables and throw pillows on rugs
- pastel-colored balloon garlands used as a backdrop and a table centerpiece
7 – Luxury picnic hire for any occasion – from Picnics and Bubbles, Australia
Such a great idea for an extra-special picnic event. You can surely look up a U.S. counterpart that offers a similar service:
- a variety of picnic packages for setup in your choice of location
- using a selection of outdoor accessories (low tables, rugs, pillows, ottomans), serving supplies (plates, glassware, napkins, cutlery), and decorations to suit your theme
Eager for even more picnic inspiration? Visit these posts: