Once autumn comes around, colors turn richer and deeper. This happens in nature, and it is reflected in wedding themes and palettes as well! So as we searched online for fabulous fall wedding ideas, we saw one striking color motif after another. But the one that truly caught our eye was the stunningly elegant pairing of plum and gold! With its regal and formal air, this color scheme does run the risk of appearing stodgy or old-fashioned. So we were thrilled to stumble upon these ideas that keep the look fresh and modern!
Mood Board in Lovely Plum and Gold
1. If it’s a vintage look you’re aiming for, you can bring this in via your invitation suite. This elegant example from the etsy shop Beacon Hill combines plum and gold with lilac and gray. Plus, it’s interesting how they mix up a modern layout with an old style font!
2. Come reception time, a definite focal point for your chosen palette would be your wedding cake. This four-tier creation made for a real wedding by The Lily Rose Cake Co. is elegant in its simplicity, with fondant-covered layers topped with a burst of purple-colored sugar roses and falling petals.
3. You can set the color tone for your celebration starting from the ceremony, with a gorgeous bouquet of plum flowers. If you look carefully, you’ll even spot the sweet mini bunting that Victoria of A Subtle Revelry (fab stylist of this shoot) tucked in amidst the blooms!
4. Set the color scheme as soon as guests arrive. These crisp and classic tent-style escort cards by custom design studio Jar of Ideas feature cream card stock on a plum backing, with fancy metallic scroll work on two corners for an elegant finish!
5. Even your menu cards can take on this palette in style! A perfect example right here from this amazing styled shoot by The Nouveau Romantics and Antiquaria, featured on Life of a Vintage Lover. Such a darling vignette with the gold table number and the purple flowers in brown vintage bottles. You must visit the full post, though, and prepare to swoon over all the plum and gold details!
6. The simplest of floral accents in shades of plum, purple and magenta can bring instant style and grace to your place settings. We fell in love with this entire styled shoot by Aileen Tran (and you will too!) that showcases magnificent floral centerpieces in all of these rich colors. Visit the post for more fab inspiration!
7. Sugar Plum Fairy. Isn’t that such a quaint name for a cocktail featuring plum wine, sake (Japanese rice wine), and sugar? Plus it’s the perfect color to go with your decor. Shake up some glasses of this for your own wedding, following the recipe we found on Capitol Hill Style.
8. Talk about eye-catching! Towering centerpieces of plum, purple and fuchsia blooms are sure showstoppers on your guest tables. You can also admire the other wonderful applications of these colors in this real wedding featured on Love and Splendor.
9. Color-coordinated bridesmaids’ dresses, too? Why not! This pretty one-shouldered number we found on Watters.com features a bow accent and a sophisticated aubergine shade. To suit the overall palette, simply have the ladies carry plum and ivory bouquets with handle wraps of gold ribbon.
Tips to Remember
- You can match plum with other colors with a similar hue such as magenta, purple, and red-violet.
- Light hues of lavender and mauve are also elegant colors to match with plum.
- Plum can also be coordinated with silver or bronze. Or, you can choose charcoal grey.