If you’re an avid recycling advocate, then we’ve got a fun project for your summer rehearsal party! Votive candle holders made from recycled glass bottles and decorated with trimmings from Mother Nature herself.
The rustic charm of these candle holders is just perfect for a casual, outdoor occasion. Plus, they’re a cinch to put together—for even the most crafting-challenged person. And what’s more, they’re not only for table use. You may position them along the pathway to the party venue, gracing the drinks station, or even hanging from a garden trellis overhead!
Step 1: Put together the needed materials.
Look no further than your own backyard, craft supply drawer, or kitchen cabinets for the materials for these votive holders.
- Gather wide-mouthed glass bottles of varying sizes and heights—such as jars from jam, mayonnaise, honey, pasta sauce, and even vintage mason jars. Wash them thoroughly and air dry.
- Assemble the decorative trimmings: raffia or straw fibers, dried fallen leaves, a wooden branch 1-inch in diameter, star anise spice. Tip: If you find other interesting items like berries, twigs, dried flowers, or seed pods, add those, too!
- Prepare scissors, a hot-glue gun, and a small saw or blade.
Step 2: Cut disc-shaped pieces from the wooden branch.
The only tricky step in this process may be the cutting of discs from the wooden branch. But other than that, anyone can pull this project off in no time!
- Using the small saw, cut 1/4″-thick discs from the wooden branch. Tip: For a more interesting shape, cut each slice on the diagonal (as visible in the photo below).
Step 3: Decorate the jars.
Make the most of natural trimmings like wood, leaves, straw, and a pretty spice to create this charming rustic look for your votive holders!
- Encircle the top rim of each bottle with straw or raffia fiber, and secure this in place with dabs of glue.
- Next, glue a few dried leaves on one side of each ring of straw.
- Top that with a wooden disc and, finally, a star anise spice.
- Add other trimmings you may have, like berries, twigs, flowers, or seed pods.
And here they are!
Group the finished votive holders in different spots at your summer engagement/rehearsal party. Their warm glow is sure to be enchanting!
Tada! Imagine a rattan table runner in chocolate brown for your party table. Display the completed votives in an artistic fashion—a graceful curve perhaps or a line down the center of the table—to create a stunning centerpiece. Then, to add a true summer-like feel, you may want to incorporate cheery sunflower heads and crisp green apples. What a warm and welcoming look, perfect for a rustic yet elegant table setting!
Beyond the party tables - Remember how we said these votive holders need not be only for tabletop use? Feel free to position them wherever their glow will cast the most charm on the party scene.
Then, even after the party is over, continue to enjoy them on your mantel, a kitchen window sill, or even your porch steps. That is, if guests haven’t taken them all home as party keepsakes!
Get more fun ideas for using candles as table decor!