Have you heard of the term ‘rough luxe’? Well, it was new to us, too, until we discovered this fabulous Stepford Wives-inspired wedding shoot on the cool blog Rock My Wedding. Apparently, in the interior design world, this term refers to a style that combines a worn, unfinished, vintage look with rustic and industrial elements and materials.
So the creative team for this shoot ran with this aesthetic as they presented 6 real brides as their models in stunning retro outfits, makeup and hairstyles. The focal point of the ladies’ set was a gorgeous rustic rough-luxe tablescape, complete with hessian runners, mercury silver candle decorations, and sweet pea florals.
Much as we’d love to showcase the gorgeous dresses and accessories that the Stepford Wives model-brides were decked out in, our focus here is the shoot’s tablescape. Such a charming blend of luxe pieces and rustic textures and materials! As Charlotte herself of RMW describes it “ridiculously pretty, yet rough around the edges, all pinks, white, silver and natural fabrics.”
How right she is! And here are the table elements we just love:
- a grouping of white honeycomb balls hanging overhead as sweet and simple ceiling decor
- a hessian table runner with the ends gathered with dainty rose-embroidered ribbon
- vases and vases of frilly, fragrant sweet peas
- mercury silver candle holders, bud vases and place card holders—all contributing to the ‘rough luxe-esque’ look
- chair decor featuring yarn tie-backs finished with a single bud vase
- strips of hessian bundling the cutlery sets together
- single blooms tied to each napkin with pink and white yarn
Other delightful decorative touches on the set:
- a sweet white cake decorated with little crocheted hearts and a “Je t’aime” banner
- an original art print on the wall created by The Little Peach showing the six brides—a lovely idea for a bridesmaids’ gift or wedding memento
- ‘industrial look’ grey-painted frames holding photos—a cool display idea for escort cards or guest greeting cards for the newlyweds
- similar frames with hanging miniature milk bottles filled with flowers
- classic Coke bottles housed in a wooden crate
There were actually so many details to showcase in this shoot, that RMW dedicated 3 entire posts to it here, here, and here! Visit the links and be inspired—whether you’re fascinated by the retro fashion (and the great makeup and hair tips!) or by the vintage-rustic-industrial decor.
So now that we all know what ‘rough luxe’ is, why not choose this style for your own wedding?!