Want to really make a statement with your first dance together at your wedding reception? Then, we suggest you brush up on some fancy footwork at a nearby dance studio that offers lessons for different styles of ballroom dancing, or provides private sessions for your own special wedding dance. Right here in Los Angeles, we found 7 such centers where you can learn ballroom classics like the waltz or foxtrot, or Latin dances like the sultry samba or the dramatic tango. Look for similar studios in your area, and get ready to glide across that dance floor come wedding day!
Advice and Tips for Your First Wedding Dance
Before you tote those dancing shoes over to a dance center, though, we suggest you keep these words of advice in mind.
- Be realistic about your respective levels of dance ability. Sit in on lessons at a couple of centers or watch some dance videos, so that you don’t try to go for something too ambitious or complicated.
- If one of you happens to have “two left feet,” agree to have the more able dancer do the challenging steps while the other supports.
- If you are set on having “your song” as the music you will dance to, use that as a guide in selecting the appropriate dance style. (Note: If your chosen song is longer than 3 minutes, have your music DJ fade it out at an agreed point.)
- Once you have chosen a style you like, ask the dance coach to assist you in planning the steps and moves that will suit your level of ability, make you look great, and let you have a wonderful time!
- If you plan to have your parents join your first dance, work out a smooth transition for each of them to come onto the dance floor and for switching partners at certain points of the choreography for a seamless performance.
- For your last few lessons, practice dancing in outfits and shoes similar to what you will be wearing on your wedding day.
- Having said all that, your wedding guests are going to love your performance anyway. So enjoy your moments in the spotlight during this once-in-a-lifetime wedding dance!
L.A. Dance Studios to Choose From
We surveyed dance centers located in the Los Angeles area that offer a wide range of styles and lesson schedules. For couples tying the knot elsewhere, you’ll surely find studios like these near you as well.
1 – By Your Side Dance Studio
By Your Side Dance Studio offers 3 levels of wedding dance packages: the Starter Package (5 private lessons on the basic steps for your wedding dance), the Basic Package (10 private lessons with custom choreography for your wedding dance), and the Deluxe Package (20 private lessons with custom choreography, an instructional DVD and wedding dance music CD, and a 20% discount on a group class package for members of your wedding party).
2 – Alexis Massey
At the SoHo Dance LA – Ballroom Studio in West Los Angeles, professional ballroom dancer, certified instructor, and choreographer Alexis Massey helps you prepare for your big day. Private lessons are available for purchase one at a time, or in plans of 5, 10, or 20 lessons to meet your specific desires and needs.
3 – Dancier Ballroom
Dancier Ballroom in Costa Mesa, California offers Wedding Dance Lessons and Ballroom Dance Classes in Orange County, Newport Beach, Monterey Park and near Los Angeles. Each wedding couple has a brief consultation with their instructor to ensure that you end up with the wedding dance of your dreams.
4 – Dance With Yiri
Independent dance instructor Yiri is available for wedding dance lessons at any dance studio in Los Angeles or Orange County. He helps you create a custom wedding dance routine that will incorporate your personal style whether it is traditional or trendy. He will even locate the studio closest to you to make it easy and convenient for you to learn to dance for your wedding.
5 – Dance Doctor
John Cassese, the Dance Doctor, offers private and group dance lessons at his studio in Santa Monica, CA. These range from wedding dance classes to specific lessons for the waltz, the salsa, and the tango.
6 – Dance Street CA
Dance Street in Pasadena, California offers special wedding dance packages that include private sessions with an instructor to learn a routine for your wedding song that is custom choreographed to suit your skill level, personality, and wedding theme; plus custom music editing, group classes in several dance styles beyond just your routine, and access to private studio parties where you can practice your new moves before the big day.
7 – Tango 2 Intrigue
For a studio specializing in Argentine Tango in Los Angeles, we found Jerry Perez and Christine Urgell’s Tango 2 Intrigue. Their offerings include private lessons and coaching, group lessons, tango teams, and wedding dances.
Are you kicking up your heels now, itching to get out on that dance floor? Well, your first steps should definitely be to a dance studio near you!