Halloween goes all grown-up at this chic and stylish bridal shower party! To create this sleek, modern vibe, set a dramatic color palette that’s just this side of spooky. Then, lay out artful decorative accents that are so cleverly crafted, guests will be “oohing” and “aahing” at your creativity. And with edibles-as-decor-elements, you’d be amazed yourself at how budget-friendly the entire table display actually is. Want to know our scary little secrets? Read on!
Eerily Elegant Tables
1. Color Palette – Paint the entire scene in stark black and white, softened only by the glow of candles set on jeweled candle coasters. Then, bring in just a hint of orange here and there. Some great ideas? Edibles such as miniature pumpkins, orange beverages or cocktails, and appetizers made of smoked salmon. Such stylish and subtle ways to achieve that Halloween-is-for-adults-too look!
2. Centerpieces - Again, edible elements make a striking statement. We created truly innovative table centerpieces using marshmallow “blooms” on wire skewers, mysterious-looking foliage made from black paper cut-outs, and sleek black table mats as display trays. For an added touch of drama, you can even incorporate black feathers in the centerpieces—reminiscent of ravens and crows.
3. Place Settings - Here, the sleek, minimalist look continues. Crisp white dinnerware and clear glass ware are paired with black table napkins and modern, square coasters. Then, for an unexpected touch of whimsy, we crafted napkin rings out of that traditional Halloween treat, popcorn! Instead of popcorn, you can also string together black and orange jelly beans, taffy, or soft candy corn to form napkin rings. And as scary place card holders, buy fake hands or eye balls at a novelty shop and position these by each guest’s plate. If you prefer something less graphic, create little black witch hats instead!
4. Glass Ware Accents – Even the glasses get some spooky “spiffing” up. Here, we’ve tied little organza ribbons in black to the stem of each wine glass. You can make it even “spookier” by placing little black pompoms with tiny paper legs inside the glasses to mimic creepy crawly creatures such as black widows.
5. Tablecloth – Who would have thought a plain white tablecloth could take on such an interesting spin? We fashioned a scary “cobweb” look by simply laying narrow satin ribbons in a random criss-cross fashion over the entire table. Then we inserted Ritz® cookies—edibles again!—amidst the ribbons to break the monotony of black and white, and bring in that fun element of surprise.
Other “Hip Halloween” Details:
1. Party Favors - A Halloween theme for a bridal shower has a lot to do with recapturing the nostalgic feel of this occasion. Think of creating goody bags for adults that are filled with favorite childhood treats, such as chocolate eyeballs, gummy worms, Pez® Candy with a Halloween theme, and Jack-O-Lantern lollipops. Simply bundle them up in fabric wraps of burnt orange organza, and they’re ready to give!
2. What to Wear – Although costumes are a big part of Halloween, there’s no need to require a costume dress code. After all, this is a grown up party. For this bridal shower, the ladies can come dressed in sleek black dresses. Or they could opt for accessories in a Halloween hue such as an orange silk shawl or silk shantung purse.
3. Invitations for Guests – In keeping with the affordability angle of this party, make DIY invitations featuring whimsical cutouts of witches’ hats, pumpkins, or black cats. You can go the eco-friendly way as well by sending out electronic invitations.
4. Halloween “Brews” – Serve up a variety of cocktails that are specially made with a Halloween vibe. Think concoctions such as caramel martinis, candy corn cocktails, and Bloody Mary’s. Or for non-alcoholic beverages, even orange-colored soda pop or fresh orange juice can make hip drinks served up in tall iced glasses.
5. Guest Book – Instead of a traditional guest book, have a wall-mounted canvas painted with Halloween-themed images from ghosts to goblins. Then guests can sign their names or write messages on this “artwork” and you can keep the completed masterpiece as a memento of this fun bridal shower. You can even make it part of your annual October home decor, as a sweet and spooky reminder of your Halloween-time wedding.
6. Cake Bites – These miniature shaped cakes are the perfect way to surprise guests in a sweet way. Think of amusing themed designs decorated as pumpkins, black cats, or whimsical monsters. Stack them up into a towering centerpiece to grace the dessert table at your shower. Or you may have them ready to give out as individual favors. Simply enclose them in cello wrap, then bundle them up in colorful fabric circles or place them in petite silver favor baskets.
With a tablescape in plain black and white, plus edibles crafted into creative decor accents, you can definitely capture this chic Halloween look at your own bridal shower party. No crafting skills required. Minimal costs. Just maximum modern style!
Got a spooky yet elegant idea to make Halloween extra eerily special? Share it with other brides!