It’s the countdown to your engagement party, and you’re agonizing over the perfect centerpieces. Overwhelmed by the sheer variety of flowers to choose from? And gasping at the cost of fresh blooms? Take heart! Flowers aren’t the only way to go. Think candles!
See our clever DIY ideas below for crafting truly striking candlelit centerpieces. We have brought the undeniable appeal of glowing candles to combinations of foliage, fruits, feathers, and even fish—and presented these in stylish containers. And voila! It’s amazing how something as simple, versatile, and easy on the budget as candles can bring such warmth, intimacy, and romance to this most special occasion. Agonize no more…simply go with the glow!
How to Decorate Themed Centerpieces with Candles
TROPICAL PARADISE – Welcome guests to a lush tropical paradise with a party table dressed in a palette of fresh greens and vivid fuchsia and orange. Create a breathtaking natural centerpiece with bromeliads, orchids, and foliage in a grouping of geometric glass vases. And enhance the air of romance with candles, of course! In keeping with the theme, we’ve set mini pillar candles on handcrafted , matching the seashell frame favors on each guest’s plate.
RUSTIC – Set the candles on a pretty display container, such as a mirror to reflect the flickering flames. Or as we’ve done with these charming jam jar votives, present them on a tray made of unique material that matches the rustic look—such as rattan, bamboo, sinamay, or pandan. The golden glow is irresistible! See our DIY.
AUTUMN CENTERPIECE – Ultra-easy yet oh so stunning! This all-foliage centerpiece gets its dramatic look by simply having white pillar candles and a scattering of bright red rose petals all around it. And since we prepared this for a tapas party theme, that’s a paella pan holding organza-wrapped guest favors amidst the leaves!
PINECONE HOLIDAY CENTERPIECE – Speaking of simple, you can’t get more “hey, I can do that!” than this. A Christmas or autumn season celebration catches a golden glow with recycled-jars-turned-votive-holders. Colored water, a raffia wreath, and some gold pine cones and berries complete the warm, homespun look.
CENTERPIECE WITH FEATHERS – Captivate guests with this pristine, airy look for a wintertime fantasy party. Our key touches are feathery favor purses serving as a centerpiece on an all white-and-lilac table display. Complementing them are rhinestone votive candle holders positioned by each guest’s place setting. Talk about a chic and unique way to get that fantasy feel in a snap!
FRESH SPRING FLORALS – gerbera daisies and live goldfish take center stage in this fun and fanciful table setting. Rose pillar candles light up the scene—reflected in pearl-encrusted coasters and paired with daisy-shaped rhinestone place card holders and candle votive holders. After the party, you may have guests take their pick which one to bring home as favors (including the goldfish)!
LACE AND FRINGE – Decorate a romantic evening tablescape with lace candles everywhere! See how you can create your own lovely lace candle holders tutorial.
Tips to Keep Your Candle Centerpieces Aglow with Style
- Think variety – Use various types of candles from pillar to votive to taper candles to tealights. This way, you can create a more interesting candlescape that doesn’t look so “matchy matchy.” Then, position these in artful groupings throughout the party venue for a captivating ambiance.
- Set the candles off on unique display containers – Look among your household items for something unusual such as a mirror, an antique frame, or a large porcelain serving platter. Or you may use a tray made of a unique material that matches your party theme. Rattan, bamboo, sinamay, or pandan for a tropical look; distressed wood for a shabby chic theme; or recycled aluminum for a party with an eco-friendly slant.
- Get creative with glass – Select an assortment of glass containers and accent pieces for your candle display, and add natural elements such as water, stones, leaves, and flowers in or around them. This creates a rich texture, plus the visual treat of the gleam of candles through water and their reflection striking against glass.
- Use colored water – This is an ultra-easy decorating trick that’s great when working with floating candles. Simply add a drop or two of different food coloring to glass vases or jars, add your candles, and you have a colorful lighted display to enhance any party table!
- Bring on the glitz and glamour – Add the magic of sparkling elements to your candle display with sequins, glass or acrylic beads, tiles, marbles, confetti, and even small candies. These instantly add an air of glitz, glam and enchantment to your centerpiece. A fantastic plus: they’re so budget-friendly! Hint: Try scouting home improvements stores for colored marbles, tiles, and beads.
- Use ribbons, fabric strips, and colored cord – Consider all sorts of decorative materials that you can tie around the candles themselves (remember to position them away from the flame!) or around their containers. For instance, think textured and patterned ribbons, scraps of fabric or lace, colored cords, and jeweled tassels. These would definitely give a festive and stylish spin to hurricane candle holders, votive holders, large glass vases, and even paper luminaries.
- Incorporate soft touches – Soften the glow of your candle centerpiece with charming finishing accents, such as loose petals, flower heads, and even feathers scattered all around the table setting. Such a simple yet enchanting way to add drama and romance to your party scene.
- Be unconventional – Consider using fruits as candle containers! Assemble different sized pumpkins, for example, to create a surprising candle display to “light” up an autumn or Halloween-themed party table. You can even use coconuts, melons, and oranges for a fun tropical ambiance. And did we mention that this is eco-friendly, too? Tip: Carve, clean, and dry out the fruits. Then, to suit your theme, you may paint them, embellish them with glitter, or add whimsical accents.
- Position candles strategically – Create little pockets of candleglow all around your party venue for an intimate, cozy ambiance. This is perfect for an at-home fondue party, using groupings of different kinds of candles atop the coffee table, side tables, mantelpiece, and a stairway landing, even at the venue entrance. The effect is almost like a warm, welcoming hug!