Who says practical can’t be fun, feminine, or fabulous? Take a look at these creative ways of turning useful into an eyeful, with place cards or escort cards that say more than just “Sit here.” Some card display ideas serve as decor accents that declare “Look at me.” Other card holders double as wedding party favors, inviting guests with a sweet message that says “Take me home, I’m yours!”
Fun Ways to Make them Stand Out
Pictured above: (1) flower shaped favor bag (2) silver favor baskets (3) ivy embroidered sachets (4) sinamay heart-shaped boxes (5) seashell card holders (6) rhinestone place card holders (7) mini flower pots (8) porcelain footed boxes (9) silver keepsake boxes
Whichever second purpose they serve, make the cards themselves as appealing as possible. All it takes are simple touches like these:
– Use a special symbol or shape – Cut the card into symbols or shapes that match the theme, style, motif, or season of your wedding.
– Choose a fitting font – Take your cue from the party’s look to print on the cards in an elegant cursive font, in formal calligraphy, in whimsical lettering, or in your own handwriting for a personal touch.
– Complement the event’s color – Use the occasion’s color palette to choose card stock in a matching hue or colored ink to print your guests’ names on the cards.
– Embellish with decorative accents – Dress up the cards with satin ribbon, metallic cord, raffia fiber, crystals, or beads in keeping with the event’s theme or motif.
Themed Ideas for Place Cards
Once the cards are ready, show them off! Here are innovative ideas for presenting place cards based on some great wedding party themes:
1. Winter-Inspired – Set a classic white card on a flower-shaped favor bag for a winter-time wedding party. The tones of ivory and powder blue, and the sparkle of crystals and tiny pearls echo the nostalgic chill of the season.
2. 4th of July – For a July wedding, prop your escort cards in little silver baskets filled with candy amidst a festively patriotic red and blue setting. This look is also great for a hip East-meets-West engagement party.
3. Autumn – Announce that “fall is in the air!” with maple leaf-shaped cards colored in the warm green and burgundy of the season. On each place setting, prop these cards against ivy-embroidered favor sachets holding edible treats for each guest.
4. Luau – Having a fun luau for an engagement party or rehearsal dinner? Tuck playful place cards in the shape of a mango atop heart-shaped sinamay favor boxes, and tie them in place with bright orange ribbons and strings of colored beads.
5. Tropical – Capture the casual ambiance of a wedding at the beach with whimsical place cards cut in the shape of pineapples. Present them in seashell card holders and line them up on a large receiving table for an eye-catching tropical display.
6. Arabian Nights – Extend the exotic feel of a Moroccan or Arabian Nights-themed wedding party with place cards held by sparkling rhinestone card holders. For visual interest, cut the place cards in a circular shape. And for added dazzle, sprinkle the tabletop with jewel-toned sequins and tiny glass beads.
7. English Tea Party – Place cards with a glittering gold border are displayed elegantly by flower pot place card holders, which not only serve as table decorations, but romantic tea party favors for guests.
8. Pretty in Pink – For a bridal shower with an all-pink color scheme, place cards with an elegant cursive font perfectly match the period look of footed- porcelain favor boxes. What holds the cards in place? Petite candies in pink, of course.
9. Valentine’s Day – You can scale down your place cards as needed, to fit their holders. Here, tiny strips of card stock sit atop silver trinket boxes—heart-shaped for a Valentine season bridal shower or bridesmaids’ brunch. Colored ink is used to match the guest’s name with the satin ribbon around each box. Simple. Chic!